Sunday, May 15, 2016

Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo is the motto of my alma mater and can be roughly translated as I’m still learning. 

For almost a year now I’ve had a bit of a side hustle in the non-for-profit sector to my full-time day job. Becoming a board member to a community service organisation and a peak disability advocacy organisation has been a great experience but it has been a bit of a learning curve.


Governance is something that I’m getting up to speed with. Risk appetite, strategy, reading financial documents and keeping up with the ever-changing legislative landscape are things that I am still learning about. Luckily, I’ve managed to go to an AICD course which helped but made me realised the complexities of running an organisation.




Leadership was another area that I wanted to develop. With two board roles comes responsibility and I want to learn how to be more effective in my advocacy. As Gandhi once said, ‘be the change that you want to see on the world’ and I thought doing Leadership WA’s Rising Leaders’ programme would help in that.



Finally, I am a bit of a newbie to the whole disability community and I’ve completed several MOOCs. The subjects were dry and they were a little more intense than I was expecting but it was good to get back into the discipline of study without having to pay for either of them.  

Time management was something I had always wanted to fine tune and with work, music, gym and side hustle I am still learning how to fit everything in. Life is great but it is full on but that is what makes it so interesting.




 
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...